KaosRadio.us Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KaosRadio.us Forum

3 posters

Harmonic Mixing - A Concept I've Been Toying With

IDS
    IDS

Harmonic Mixing -  A Concept I've Been Toying With Empty Harmonic Mixing - A Concept I've Been Toying With

Post  IDS Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:44 pm

Here's something for thought guys, it's a way of mixing I've been playing around with for the past while, it takes basic musical theory, which I'll be blunt, I'm useless with.

Harmonic Mixing -  A Concept I've Been Toying With CamelotSmall

Seen this wheel? It's the Camelot wheel, it's the center point of Harmonic Mixing.

On the Camelot wheel, each key is assigned a keycode number from one to twelve, like hours around a clock.

Now from here on it's just gonna be copy paste from http://www.harmonic-mixing.com/

Harmonic mixing consists of two elements: knowing the key of every song that you play and knowing which keys are compatible.

To get started, find the keys of your songs. You can detect keys with a piano, a good ear, and a background in music theory. To save time, you can use professional DJ software such as Mixed In Key. Mixed In Key scans your MP3 and WAV files, and shows you the key of every song.

VirtualDJ, Traktor, Cue and so on so forth should give you the Camelot Number of any songs you've played at least once, so the Piano isn't necessary, unless you're a vinyl DJ, then just use an online thing or DAW.

The Professional DJ Approach

Many professional DJs move around the Camelot wheel with every mix.

To select a compatible song, choose a keycode within one "hour" of your current keycode. If you are in 8A, you can play 7A, 8A or 9A next. If you are in 12A, you can play 11A, 12A or 1A. This mix will be smooth every time.

You can also mix between inner and outer wheels if you stay in the same "hour." For example, try mixing from 8A to 8B, and notice the change in melody as you go from Minor to Major.

Harmonic mixing is a simple technique, but it opens up a world of creativity. You will play creative DJ sets and discover interesting song combinations. It's easy to get started with any music genre.

Now, you may be thinking moving just one up the scale every time is a little boring, and you're right, there are certain techniques you can use to add some spice to your mix.

To go up one semitone, add 7 to your current Camelot number. If you're in E-flat Minor (2A), add 7 and you'll be in E Minor (9A).

To go up two semitones, just add 2 to your current Camelot number. If you're in C Minor (5A), add 2 and you'll get D Minor (7A). Play your next tune in 7A, and you'll experience an energy boost mix.

Now this may make the melodies clash so you should mix quickly, but the result is great, it produces a very uplifting sound about it, you can apply the same idea by going down the Camelot Scale to chill out your mix.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Harmonic Mixing -  A Concept I've Been Toying With Empty Re: Harmonic Mixing - A Concept I've Been Toying With

Post  Admin Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:51 pm

Interesting good post
    Riemann

Harmonic Mixing -  A Concept I've Been Toying With Empty Re: Harmonic Mixing - A Concept I've Been Toying With

Post  Riemann Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:53 pm

I dont think one should totally rely on this to mix.

For one Mixed in Key is not 100% accurate and gets keys wrong.

Secondly its just adding another rule on how to mix, i think its best to go all by ear , but thats just me.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:00 am

I know i mix by ear and usually i will play a song and then decide the next song by how the crowed responds to the current track.
    IDS
    IDS

Post  IDS Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:05 pm

At the same time, if you're not mixing to a crowd or for people, it's a pleasing way, say if you're recording an application for a Radio/Club or whatever to almost always be sure your mix will sound decent.

And to be fair, it's a little off with Hard Dance because of it's constantly changing key but 80% of the time it's correct.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:01 pm